In Canada, a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is a school or educational institution that has received government approval to accept and host international students. A letter of approval from a DLI is required in order to receive a study permit in Canada.
International students’ compliance with the conditions of their study permits and with Canadian immigration laws falls under the responsibility of DLIs. The idea of a Designated Learning Institution is crucial in Canada for the following reasons:
International Students Recieve Quality Education
Canadian DLIs are held to strict quality assurance criteria to guarantee that they deliver the best education to international students. To continue to be qualified to host international students, they must continue to achieve strict requirements and uphold high standards.
Aids Foreign Students in Adhering to Immigration Laws
To avoid any legal problems as an international student, it’s crucial to make sure you adhere to Canadian immigration laws. International students who need assistance with the difficult application, renewal, and compliance processes can turn to DLIs.
Allows International Students to Work in Canada While Studying
DLIs are in charge of ensuring that foreign students abide by the rules on working while enrolled in classes in Canada. They need to make sure that international students who want to work are guided and supported in doing so, and that they adhere to the conditions of their study permits.
Offers a Secure and Encouraging Environment
DLIs are in charge of making sure that overseas students are in a secure and encouraging learning environment. They must offer resources and assistance to international students as well as abide by all rules and regulations of Canada, particularly those pertaining to health and safety.
Makes the Transition to Permanent Residency Easier
Many overseas students prefer to stay in Canada after finishing their studies and applying for permanent residency. DLIs play an important role in assisting overseas students with this transition by offering guidance and assistance with the application process.
What Schools in Canada Are a DLI?
Every primary and secondary school in Canada is a DLI.
To accept international students, post-secondary schools must obtain permission from the provincial government. If you want to study at the post-secondary level in Canada, check sure your school and program of study are on the list of Canadian DLIs below.
If you plan to stay in Canada after graduation, you will want to be sure to choose a DLI that allows you to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
Canada Designated Learning Institutions List
British Columbia DLIs
- College of New Caledonia
- Columbia International College
- The University of the Fraser Valley
- Vancouver Community College
- Alexander College
- Fraser International College
- British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Acsenda School of Management
- Columbia College
- Douglas College
- Greystone College of Business and Technology
- Gastown Business College
- Thompson Rivers University
- Northeastern University
- Simon Fraser University
- University of British Columbia
- Trinity Western University
- University of Victoria
- University of Northern British Columbia
- Alberta University of the Arts
- Canadian Imperial College
- Burman University
- Ambrose University
- CDI College of Business, Technology and Health Care
- Canford Institute of Technology
- Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary and College
- Columbia College
- Centennial Flight Centre, Inc.
- Lethbridge College
- Concordia University of Edmonton
- Lakeland College
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- St. Stephen’s College (U of Alberta Campus)
- St. Mary’s University
- University of Alberta
- The King’s University
- University of Lethbridge
- University of Calgary
- Assiniboine Community College
- Heartland International English School
- Brandon University
- Booth University College
- International College of Manitoba
- Harv’s Air Service
- Canadian Mennonite University
- Herzing College
- Red River College
- University of Manitoba DLIs- Institute of Trades and Technology
- Providence University College and Theological Seminary
- Royal Winnipeg Ballet School
- Robertson College
- University of Manitoba
- Université de Saint-Boniface
- University of Winnipeg
Nova Scotia DLIs
- Acadia University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- College of North Atlantic
- Western Regional School of Nursing
- Academy of Learning Career College
- Apex Language and Career College
- Acadia University: English Language Centre
- Cape Breton University
- Atlantic School of Technology
- Canadian Language Learning College
- Dalhousie University ESL Programs
- Dalhousie University
- Eurocentres Language and Educational Centres
- East Coast Language College
- Eastern College
- International Language Institute
- Nova Scotia College of Arts and Design
- ICEAP Nova Scotia Inc
- Halifax Language Institute of Canada
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- Nova Scotia Community College
- St. Mary’s University
- St. Francis Xavier University
- University of King’s College
- Centennial College
- Ontario College
- Georgian College
- Huron University College
- George Brown College
- ILAC International College
- King’s University College
- Queen’s University
- Lakehead University
- McMaster University
- Tamwood International College
- Ryerson University
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- Trent University
- University of Guelph
- University of Toronto
- University of Ottawa
- University of Western Ontario
- University of Waterloo
- Wilfried Laurier University
- University of Windsor
- York University
Prince Edward Island DLIs
- Collège de l’Île
- Moonlight International Academy
- Holland College
- University of Prince Edward Island
- Study Abroad Canada Language Institute
Are You Interested In Studying in Canada at a Designated Learning Institute?
If so, Contact VisaPlace today. All our cases are handled by competent and experienced immigration professionals who are affiliated with VisaPlace. These professionals consist of lawyers, licensed paralegals, and consultants who work for VisaPlace Legal an award-winning immigration firm that adheres to the highest standards of client service.
Ready for the next step? Book your 1 on 1 consultation now or call us at 1-888-317-5770.
Have a Question related to your Immigration Needs?
Fill out the FREE Immigration Assessment form and get a response within 24 hours to see if you’re eligible.
The assessment form should take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete. We will get back to you within one business day to let you know if we are able to help.